These biscuits beat any other biscuits you may find out there and anyway who said store bought is better than homemade food? Try it for yourself 🙂
- 3 cups (440g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp butter, divided (I used salted)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp milk
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt for 30 seconds. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in freezer for 1 hour, place 1 stick of butter (8 Tbsp) in freezer to chill 1 hour as well. After 30 minutes of freezing, pour buttermilk into an airtight container and freeze 30 minutes (so they should all complete freezing at the same time).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in a microwave safe bowl, set aside. Remove butter from freezer and grate butter using the smaller holes of a box grater, then remove flour from freezer and toss grated butter into flour using a wooden spoon, until butter is evenly distributed. Remove buttermilk from freezer, stir and pour over flour mixture. Mix using a wooden spoon and one hand until mixture begins to come together adding 2 Tbsp milk (chilled from fridge) as needed toward end of mixing to help mixture come together.
- Pat mixture over a floured surface to about 1-inch thick. Cut into circles using a biscuit cutter and transfer to a Silpat lined baking sheet. Spread tops generously with melted butter and bake in preheated oven 18 – 22 minutes until tops are nicely golden. Serve warm.
Note: If you do not have buttermilk at home, you can substitute by mixing 1 1/2 TBSP lemon/white vinegar and 1 1/2 cups of milk- let it sit for 5-10 mins then it’s ready to use.
Recipe source: Jacklyn