Sometimes, It dear hubby’s turn to cook and he’s good at making Steak so whenever we decide to have steak, it’s presumed that he will be making it and I will make a side dish which is usually fries or Mashed potatoes but this time I decide to try something different. Something more fancy so to speak!
This is what I found. It was easy and delicious. These potatoes are a perfect side dish for pretty much anything; the garlic and parmesan with the potatoes… Oh! A good mix!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 4 large garlic cloves, minced)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose (or plain) flour
- 4 cups milk (skim, 2% or full fat — more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bullion powder (or Kosher salt)
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pounds | 2 kgs potatoes, peeled and sliced into ⅛-inch rounds
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, divided
- preheat oven to 400°F | 200°C.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized pan / pot. Add the garlic and sauté until just fragrant (about 1 minute). Whisk in the flour; continue to cook while whisking (or stirring) for at least 2 minutes. Reduce heat down to low; gradually whisk in 4 cups of the milk (about ¼ cup at a time), whisking between each addition to combine. Bring to a boil until beginning to thicken. Stir in the bullion powder, salt (if needed), and pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking oil spray. Arrange a layer of potatoes over base of prepared dish. Pour half of the cream sauce over the potatoes, then top evenly with half of the mozzarella cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Arrange the remaining potato slices over the cheese, the remaining creamy sauce, and the remaining cheeses.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil and bake for 40 minutes until potatoes are just tender. Remove foil; cook for a further 30 minutes or until top is golden and the sauce is bubbling. For a crispier top, broil (or grill) on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until cheese is crispy.
- Garnish with chives. Serve warm.
Recipe Source: Karina