I hope everyone is enjoying the cool weather as much as I am.. I sure am keeping myself moisturized because boy my skin is getting dry!! (Recipe for a homemade moisturizer coming up soon)
I recently made these tea cookies at home and they turned out DELICIOUS!!! They are a very common type of cookie back home in Kenya.. Continue reading for the recipe 🙂
Nan Khatai/tea cookies!!
1 cup + 2 Tbsp All purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Semolina
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
A pinch of Salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter or ghee at room temp
1/2 cup powdered sugar (or a little less)
1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powder
1 Tbsp Finely chopped Pistachio or Red color( a pinch of red color mixed with water) for garnish
1) Sieve 1 cup + 2 tbsp of Flour in a bowl, add 2 tbsp baking soda, a pinch of salt and 2 Tbsp Semolina
2) Mix with a spoon/Spatula
3) Take 1/2 cup butter or ghee and powder sugar in another bowl
4) beat them using a whisk or hand mixer until smooth and soft. Add 1/4 tsp cardamom powder and beat again
5) add sieved dry ingredients from step 1
6) Mix well and make dough using hand, If the dough looks very greasy, you can add 1-2 Tbsp of flour ( Do not add more than that)
7) preheat the Oven to 350 F/ 180 C for at least 10 minutes. Divide dough into 18 equal portions and make round shaped balls from it. Line in Parchment paper or aluminium foil over baking tray. Take each ball and press gently between your palms to give it a patty shape and place it on the tray. To each one of the cookie, add the chopped pistachio or red food color. Keep enough space between each cookie as they will grow in size when baking.
8) Place baking tray in the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the cookie turns golden. After 15 minutes keep an eye on them.
9) Remove the tray and place the cookies on a cooling tray. At this point the cookies will be soft but as they cool, they will harden. Once cooled, you can either have them like how I did (and almost finished them) or store it in an air-tight container for later 🙂
Enjoy!!! Make sure to tag me if you end up making them!!
Thank you for reading!